Sunday, June 8, 2014

Roses and Rings and Rivers Oh My


This was one whirlwind of a weekend.

First of all, my more than wonderful boyfriend was able to come up for the weekend, and he surprised me with absolutely GORGEOUS red roses to celebrate our anniversary that was last Monday. He's the first boyfriend to ever give me flowers, I didn't even know how to react. It's been a crazy six months, but he is such an incredible man that he makes me want to be a better person.

We spent the weekend with my parents traveling up and down the lovely state of New York for my cousin's wedding. The ceremony was small, simple, and in the middle of nowhere, but it was lovely and focused on their love for each other. I watch a ton of bridal shows and sometimes the purpose of the day seem to get lost in all the glitz and glamour and gowns, and it was nice to see that they focused on what matters.

Instead of spending the night with everyone at the hotel where the reception was held, we were lucky enough to be able to spend the night at a family house on the St. Lawrence River. I spent many of my summers when I was a kid here, fishing and boating and just being a wild child. I had forgotten how much the river means to me, and it does show that even though the North can be awful and cold and miserable, it can also be so beautiful. It's a reminder that even in my hurry to move down South, you can't move forward without leaving some things behind.

This was the first time any boyfriend of mine has taken a trip with my family, or met my very large extended family on my mom's side, or visited the river with me. It was a weekend of firsts but I really enjoyed all of them. I feel very thankful that I have someone that I can share all of the parts of my life with, and that accepts me for all of those parts. We've been together for "only" six months but it has been so incredible, and it has taught me what genuine love and caring is. It's not my longest relationship so far, but it is hands down my best.

The weekend was spent with well loved family and friends, and it was a lovely reminder that sometimes it's important to stop and appreciate the beautiful things in life, like red roses, the love at a wedding, or a morning on the river.

"The most important thing in life is your family.
There are days you love them, and others you don't,
but in the end they're the people you always come home to.
Sometimes it's the family you're born into,
and sometimes it's the one you make for yourself."

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS